3.20.2008

Hello World.

First off, it's been great hearing from everyone. I have read all the emails, but this is the first chance I've had to sit and write anything. Thank you all for your prayers, love and thoughts over this last week. I've been meaning to write about the labor/birth but I thought first I'd give you an update on Sam.

Sam is doing very well at newborn things, such as sleeping, eating, eating while sleeping, pooping, pooping right after getting a clean diaper, pooping when ever Paul picks him up, and the big step forward--breast feeding. He's really a quiet little guy. He only really cries when you change him or take off all his clothes. We haven't tried a bath yet, but that is on today's agenda. [Picture one of reading instructions from a book, while the other does the sponge bathing] We actually have to watch him to make sure he eats regularly, because he's young enough right now that he won't cry if he's hungry...he'll just get more hungry.

He had a weight check yesterday, so he was 5lb, 13.8oz at birth, went down to 5lb 8.5 at his 2 day doc visit, and yesterday at he was up to 5lb 14.5oz. So 6 oz in 2 days is not bad! He's a bit jaundice (his billi level is 14.5) but not bad enough to worry about yet. We're just getting him a lot of indirect sunlight to fix that.

Because he was so small when he was born, he sugar level was kind of low. This was complicated a bit more because he couldn't figure out how to nurse after birth, so he just kept losing body temperature. So the nursing staff and we ended up giving up on the breast feeding and just started feeding him formula. Within 12 hours his temperature and his sugar levels had come up to normal, but he still wasn't interested in nursing. So we've been doing formula since then. Eventually my milk finally came in wednesday, so we are now transitioning to breast milk most of the time with an occasional bottle of formula around 5 am or so. So yes, we're pumping. We ended up renting an electric one for the month. The most recent good news is that Sam actually nursed about 30 minutes at a set last night, so I think we are on our way to establishing that. Once we figured out he was on a 2.5-3 hour feeding cycle, it became a lot easier to work on that last one. The object is to time it so he is just hungry enough to eat, but not frantically starving or so sacked out that he won't even wake up to nurse.

We're doing ok. Lack of sleep is the biggest thing. I haven't had too many freak out moments, though I think we could be smarter at times. :) It's been a lot of laughs, a few tears, lot of wandering around like a zombie, lots of cuddling. Paul has been great, though lack of sleep is really starting to catch up with him. I'm one big emotionally weepy person these days, but I've been told that is normal. Physically, I'm pretty much back up on my swollen feet. I still get a bit worn out if I do too much. I've also been frustrated about the breast-feeding, which is doubled because it has been a bit painful with my milk coming in. I'm also down a nursing bra (due to engorgement) so next week I hope to pick up a new one or three. We've been getting meals from various well-wishers, which has been a lifesaver. I think all three of us would have starved without them.

Well noon feeding is coming up, so I need to sign off. Just wanted to say thank you to wmw and uwee. All the stuff you sent has been wonderfully useful. We got in Sunday and had nothing organized. The box of random stuff and the diaper champ and changing pad have gotten through these first few days. I hope to write again soon.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Glad you are all doing well despite sleep deprivation. You could use a few naps a day yourself I'm sure. I will call and say hi one of these days but wanted to give you a while to settle in. And remember, you don't have to answer the phone anytime you don't want to! (Grandma can wait.) ;)